Tuesday 28 February 2012

What do you get when you combine Wales, Brazil, clogs and Skype?

 A Hiraeth/Saudade Dance Performance apparently. The ex-DMU student Angharad Harrop collaborated with performers from Brazil in order to create the performance today, which incorporated live music with Welsh and Brazilian dance forms.

 In all honesty, dance performances are not something I attend a lot. Although coming from parents who are left-wing, middle class, read the Guardian and eat organic food, I have been to a few in my time, amongst other theatre performances, art exhibitions, you can see where I'm going.

 But what I particularly liked about this performance was the sense of fun; it didn't take itself too seriously. In fact I felt like I'd been invited as a spectator to one of their parties, like this was something they did all the time. The dancers were incredibly co-ordinated, and were all the more impressive on finding out that they had spent just one day rehearsing as a full group.

 The project arose over the internet, and they rehearsed over Skype. The Brazilian members of the group talked about how they had only seen the space they performed in virtually, and how much better it was to visit it in real life.

 Audience members responded by saying it was "Magical" and expressing how much they "wanted to join in". I couldn't have agreed more, you felt a part of the performance and it was both skilled and fun simultaneously. It struck me how relevant this performance was to Cultural Exchanges festival. They really were exchanging cultures, combining Welsh clogging with Brazilian dance, and it worked perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment